The act of forgiving a person who may have hurt us is seen as a noble thing to do. Forgetting it is another issue or another process. A good person is usually defined as one who can really forgive and forget things. It is difficult to say that whether the person is an evil or good by his or her reaction towards the idea both idea forgiving n forget. Some says it depends on how bad the scar have they left to us.
Hurt. How do we measure it? By the act that has been done upon us or the effect of it? It does has a connection with our capability of forgiving and forgetting things that a person did to us. We do forgive and forget little things that might cause us pain. But again, this is very subjective in its idea. Feelings are varies from one to another. How do we know that some things should be forgiven and some does not even deserve a second chance? Forgetting may take a longer time or may not at all compared to forgiving . Thus, we view that forgive and forget as two seperate entities. Are they, really?
I do believe that being humane is not just about what we contribute to the others, physically. Being humane is not only how we present ourselves to the others with the idea that we are very ethical in every aspect of life. Beyond that, humane takes us deeper than what we can see. The first step is to acknowledge ourselves as a person who is willingly to accept the notion of forgiving and forgetting, starting with ourselves. Instead of blaming our parents who are responsibled in shaping our bad worldview and negative ideas of certain things as the way it is, we should forgive them and forgive ourselves for it. Only then we can really move on to the next process, forgetting and thus, have a clear mind. When we have clear conscience, it doesnt matter how bad things can really hurt us, it can easily be forgiven and forgetten.
When I began to practise the act of forgiving and forgetting, the infinite beauty of being happy suddenly becomes clear. Forgiving someone and forgetting for what has been done is more than just about changing the personality within myself. The clear state of mind is what really matters the most. It is priceless. Only by then that everything else comes easily. On top of that not only it I attract good things for myself but it also attracts me to good vibes with other people.
Forgiving and forgetting is however a matter of choices. By not doing it, it is not an evil act. I've seen the two sides of the paths and each leads to different possibilities. But, there is no point of putting a grudge too long on someone. Deep down inside our heart we know it will definitely leave us feeling incomplete.
Lauri Markkanen
3 years ago

1 comment:
I forgive people but not forget. What was done is done, there is nothing you can do about it. Unless of cause if you have a time machine, in that case may I borrow it?
There are a lot of things I did in the past that I wish I didn't do.
Anyway, forgive but not forget, that doesn't mean that you should bring up the past every single time. Just as a reminder.
Post a Comment